Over in the Forest by Marianne Berkes is a fun book for the preschool/kindergarten crowd. Not only are they introduced to various animals that live in the forest, but there are so many ways to bring in some fun learning opportunities.
Little ones will learn about the names of different animal babies. They will practice counting to ten. And, they’ll learn how various animals move throughout the forest.
Over in the Forest
After reading Over in the Forest with your little ones and completing some of the activity pages, choose one or more of the activities below to bring the story to life.
- Teach your little ones how to tell how old a tree is.
- Create some awesome textured paintings with nature’s paintbrushes.
- Make a fancy stick crown!
- Make some Waldorf-inspired nature blocks.
- Follow this tutorial to make stick picture frames.
- Go on a walk and find the tree that matches the leaves.
- Make up forest fairy tales.
- Make a things that come from trees nature table.
- Make homemade treats for your forest friends.
- Create a story tree with story baskets.
Snacks and Treats
These snacks and treats are super fun and go perfectly with a forest/woodland theme.
- Bear crackers
- Hungry owl crackers
- A fun hedgehog snack idea
- Chocolate hedgehog truffles
- Acorn cookies
- Strawberry mushrooms
- Bird nest treats
- Apple turtles
- Cute and easy snail lunch
- Cute lunch idea: Beaver
Forest-Themed Story Books
Over in the Forest Printable
This free printable for preschoolers and kindergarteners if one of my new favorites! I created some fun new activity pages for this one, and I wish I had a little one to use them with. Inside this fun new freebie, you’ll find the following activities:
- Counting practice
- Handwriting practice
- Animal action cards
- Beginning sounds practice
- Coloring pages
- and more!
To download your free printable pack, please enter your information below. You should receive your download link within the hour. If, after an hour, you have not received your link, please contact me and we’ll figure it out together.
Please note that your link will expire in 72 hours, and it can only be downloaded twice. Be sure to download and save it once it arrives in your inbox.
More ‘Forest Friends’ Fun
Don’t forget to enjoy the other read-alouds featured in my 31-day series.
Are you looking for more tips beside what is being shared in the 31 Days of Homeschool Tips for Moms? I would love to invite you community inspired by this series, as we strive to inspire, encourage and empower our readers in everything homeschooling.