Do you ever use voices when you read to your kids?
My boys used to love listening to me read the Three Billy Goats Gruff when they were younger. There’s just something about the goats trip-tramping across the bridge that got them giggling every time. Then, when the troll came along (with me speaking in a low, troll-ish voice), they’d get to laughing even more.
If your little ones love the Three Billy Goats Gruff, as well, they’ll love these hands-on activities that go along with the story. And, they’ll love the printable I created to go along with the story!
Three Billy Goats Gruff
Fun connections to make with the story:
- Goats: Learn about goats and the way they live. Share facts with your kids. Visit a local farm, if possible, to see goats up close.
- Three: Have your kids listen for things that happen three times. The troll stops the goats three times. The goats trip-trap across the bridge. What else happens three times?
- Position words (prepositions): Introduce position words/prepositions. Over, under, on, and across are mentioned in this story.
Variations of The Three Billy Goats Gruff
After reading The Three Billy Goats Gruff with your little ones and completing some of the activity pages below, choose one or more of the activities to bring the story to life.
- Make a paper plate billy goat.
- Create an invitation to retell the story with playdough and props.
- Make a story telling basket.
- Let your kids try retelling the story with LEGOs.
- Use puppet sticks to retell the story.
- Blocks make a great bridge for retelling the story.
- Print out masks for role-playing the story.
- Retell the story using LEGOs to create the scenes.
- Three Billy Goats Gruff sensory bin
- Kids will LOVE creating their own pet trolls!
- Easy toilet roll billy goats
- Turn a kleenex box into a stage for a puppet show.
Teaching resources for The Three Billy Goats Gruff: