Have you ever read The Enormous Turnip? It’s a great story for little readers!
I have to admit that this story was new to me a year ago. I discovered the clipart for this fun printable before I’d ever read the book. However, I really enjoyed this picture book, and I think your young readers will, too.
I mean, who wouldn’t love discovering a giant vegetable growing in the garden!
I really enjoy finding ways to bring picture books to life with young readers. They become a little more invested in the story (and in reading in general) when they can make connections. Printables and hands-on activities allow little ones to make those connections.
The Enormous Turnip
Fun connections to make with the story:
- Team work: It took a whole team of ‘pullers’ to get that turnip out of the ground. Is it easier to do hard jobs when you do them as a team?
- Real and make-believe: Would a cat, a dog, and a mouse really be able to help pick a turnip? Would a turnip really grow that big?
- Unexpected surprises: The farmer planted his seed and hoped to get a good turnip in his garden. Much to his surprise, it was enormous! Can you remember a time when you got an unexpected surprise?
- Little people can do big things! Notice the last one to join the ‘pulling team.’ It was the mouse. What big things can you do while you’re little?
Variations of The Enormous Turnip
After reading The Enormous Turnip with your little ones and completing some of the activity pages below, choose one or more of these activities to bring the story to life.
- Here’s a fun song to sing that demonstrates the story sequence.
- Create a storytelling basket with props.
- Scroll down to see a fun painted paper turnip art project.
- Make a paper-mache enormous turnip.
- Put together a fun sensory bin based on the book.
- Print out storytelling masks.
- Flannel board figures are great for allowing kids to retell the story.
- Here’s a great list full of tons of seed activities to do with your kiddos.
- Watch a video retelling the story of The Enormous Turnip:
Download your printable.
After reading The Enormous Turnip with your little ones, print out this fun learning pack. It’s written for K-2 learners. Inside this printable learning pack, you’ll find the following activities:
- Word Family Sliders: Children will explore and create words in the -an, -at, and -og families.
- ABC order: Students will practice putting words in alphabetical order to the first letter.
- Parts of Speech: Read a list of words and sort them in the correct column – noun, verb, adjective.
- Ordinal Numbers: In what order did the characters show up in the story?
- Story Sequence Cards: There are many ways to use these cards. Kids can lay them out as you read the story, or they can use them to retell the story in their own words.
- Synonyms and Antonyms: Read the list of words, and write an antonym or synonym for each one.
- and more!
This 20-page Enormous Turnip printable pack is only available to my readers. Enter your information below, and then check your email for the link. Be sure to open the link on a PC or laptop as it won’t open properly on a smartphone or tablet.
For more printables based on our favorite read-alouds, see these posts: