From hungry caterpillars and busy spiders to quiet crickets and grouchy ladybugs, Eric Carle’s vibrant artwork draws kids into his books from cover to cover. His books are ones I bought for my kids when they were little and have packed away for future grandkids. They are timeless classics for kids of all ages.
Eric Carle has his own blog. You can visit his blog to learn more about him and his work. There is also a fun photo and video gallery where you and your kids can learn how he creates his artwork. If you are lucky enough to live near Amherst, MA, you could visit the Eric Carle Museum.
Eric Carle Author Study
After learning about Eric Carle and his artwork, your little ones will love reading his books. After reading some of the stories with your little ones, choose one or more of the activities below to bring the stories to life.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Use LEGOs to retell the story.
- The Mixed-Up Chameleon: Here’s a fun painting project.
- Mister Seahorse: Paint a seahorse with shaving cream and practice lacing the “mane.”
- The Very Busy Spider: Make your very own spiders and spider web.
- The Very Grouchy Ladybug: Learn to tell time with paper plate ladybug clocks.
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?: Create puppets and have a puppet show.
- Little Cloud: Puffy paint cloud art
- A House for Hermit Crab: Here’s an awesome mixed-media hermit crab project.
- The Very Quiet Cricket: Tissue paper collage
Snacks and Treats
These snacks and treats are super fun and go perfectly with an Eric Carle author study.
- Polar Bear Pretzel Pops
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Jello Cups
- The Mixed-Up Chameleon Snack Mix
- Cheesy Web Snack (scroll down)
- Very Busy “Oreo” Spiders
- Jello Sky (to go with Little Cloud)
- Cereal Butterflies (Very Hungry Caterpillar)
- Polar Bear Rice Krispie Treats
Eric Carle Story Books
Eric Carle Printable
Your Eric Carle fans will LOVE this free Eric Carle Author Study printable for grades K-3! Inside this learning pack, you will find the following activities:
- Biography pages
- Crossword puzzle
- Color pages
- Book-specific activities
- and much more!
More ERIC CARLE Fun
What is your favorite Eric Carle book to read with your children?
You may also enjoy these author studies…