Doreen Cronin is a former attorney turned children’s book author. Actually, she wrote the manuscript for her first book, Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type, before she ever started law school. It took five years to get her first book published. And, the rest is history.
From cows and chickens to worms and ducks, Cronin has published over 20 children’s books. She’s a fantastic author to choose for an author study. Dig in and learn a little bit about her life. Then, choose some books from her, and have tons of fun!
I’m excited to kick off a brand new series here on my blog! Each month, I will share a new author study focused on some of the most popular children’s authors – old and new. You can choose to study each author for month picking one focus book each week. Or, you can do a weeklong study with a new book each day.
I’ll share some fun extension activity ideas as well as new printables. There will be printables dedicated to each author and pages to use with each book I feature. I hope you enjoy this new series! Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post to download your free printable.
Doreen Cronin Author Study
Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: Duck and his fellow barnyard friends are planning to trick Farmer Brown.
- Use goldfish crackers to practice counting to ten.
- Use shaving cream or a sand tray to practice finger-writing the numbers 1-10.
- Let kids see how high they can stack blocks.
- Write a note for someone and leave it on their door.
- trace the numbers 1-10
- count and clip cards 1-10
- match the rhyming words
Diary of a Fly: Oh my goodness! This is one funny little picture book. Little Fly keeps a diary journaling his days at school, at home, and with his friends.
- Make an “All About Me” book like Fly did.
- Count to 200 (the number of times a fly can beat its wings in one second).
- Make a fly with bubble wrap wings and eyes.
- Print and color these Fun Fly Facts bookmarks.
- Learn how to draw cartoon flies.
- vocabulary page
- life cycle of a fly recording page
- five senses observation page
- diary page
- superhero writing prompt
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type: Typing cows. Ransom notes. Animals on strike. What’s Farmer Brown going to do?
- Visit a local farm.
- Try typing a letter on the computer.
- Make a fun cow paper plate mask.
- Paint a cow on a farm. Add a typewriter in the background.
- Make cow paper bag puppets.
- proper nouns
- label a friendly letter
- compound words
- write friendly letter
- fantasy or realistic
Duck for President: Duck has very high aspirations! What will happen when he hits the campaign trail?
- Make a torn paper duck collage.
- Make a Duck for President handprint poster.
- Watch a fun Duck for President campaign video.
- the President’s job
- story map
- campaign signs
Click, Clack, Peep! There’s trouble on the farm when a newly hatched visitor arrives.
- Create a whole collection of paper plate farm animals.
- Paint a baby duck with a fork.
- Conduct some egg-citing science experiments.
- Here’s a fun collection of tractor-themed crafts.
- Make a cupcake liner duck family.
- farm animal sort
- what’s in your egg?
- duck research
- animal sounds
- writing prompt
Doreen Cronin Author Study Printables
To download your free printable pack, please enter your information below. You should receive your download link within the hour. If, after an hour, you have not received your link, please contact me and we’ll figure it out together.
What is your favorite book by Doreen Cronin?