Who doesn’t love farm animals? Watching the horses gallop across a field or a cow nibbling on some hay brings kids such joy. Not to mention roly-poly pink pigs and clucking chickens flapping around the farmyard.
Margaret Wise Brown’s Big Red Barn is a fun little story that little ones will love. The animals explore when no one is around. The short, rhyming text is just right for little listeners and beginning readers.
Big Red Barn
After reading Big Red Barn with your little ones and completing some of the activity pages, choose one or more of the activities below to bring the story to life.
- Your little ones will love this printable barn craft.
- Paint a farm scene with handprint farm animals.
- Your littlest ones will enjoy creating a Big Red Barn Small World.
- A farm-themed sensory bin will keep the kiddos entertained.
- Create a flannel board so little ones can retell the story.
- Use duplo blocks to make farm animal puzzles.
- Shredded paper sheep – how “ewe”nique!
- Clothespins make the legs on this fun horse craft.
- With a small box and some craft sticks, kids can make their own red barn.
- Here’s a fun chicken craft your kids can make.
Snacks and Treats
These snacks and treats are super fun and go perfectly with a farm theme.
Big Red Barn Printable
Here’s a fun new printable for preschoolers and kindergarteners. While it was designed to be used with Big Red Barn, it would go perfectly with any farm-themed studies you are doing. Inside this fun freebie, you’ll find the following activities:
- ABC and Number Matching Cards
- Handwriting Practice
- Match the Upper and Lowercase Letters
- Shadow Matching
- and More!
To download your free printable pack, please enter your information below.
Enhance your farm-themed lessons:
If you’re looking for more fun for your farm-themed learning plans, check out my top picks from Amazon!